How to Apply
Application for the U.S. participants is now open!
Due by 11: 59 pm PST, Sunday, March 15, 2015
Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Summer Institute (BFTF) to be held June 27-July 25, 2015 on the campus of Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
10 U.S. fellows (aged 16 to 18) will join 35 international fellows from Europe to take classes in International Diplomacy, Media and Journalism, Global Problems, Democracy, and Civic Education. Over the course of the institute, fellows will meet with US diplomats and politicians, prominent scholars, and journalists. Fellows will participate in debates, practical workshops, and seminars. They will also learn how to organize and participate in community service activities.
The institute’s cultural program includes trips to Indianapolis (the Indiana State House, Eiteljorg Museum of American Indian and Western Art), Chicago (Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, Willis (Sears) Tower, the Science and Industry Museum), Philadelphia (Independence Hall and the National Constitution Center), and Washington (Capitol Hill, the U.S. Department of State, the Smithsonian, and the United States Memorial Holocaust Museum). The program also includes an International Culture Night, talent shows, 4th of July picnic, show and concerts, movie nights and sporting events. All fellows will receive scholarships that will cover ALL EXPENSES related to the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Summer Institute, including:
- Institute tuition
- Meals and incidentals
- Books and study materials
- Admission to museums and shows
- All trips that are included in the Institute program
HOW TO APPLY?
You can apply both by mail or online. The application package includes:
1. Two essays (limit to one page, single-spaced):
Essay #1: In 2-3 paragraphs tell us about yourself (your interests, plans for future, friends, successes, or failures, concerns).
Essay #2: In 2-3 paragraphs tell us how you can contribute to the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Summer Institute. What in your opinion makes you very special participant of the Institute?
2. Two recommendation letters from individuals (other than your family members). You should collect the recommendation letters and add them to the application package. If you are applying online, you will be asked to upload the letters to the application online. We will not accept letters of recommendation via email.
3. ANY additional evidence that demonstrates your interest and willingness to participate in the Institute, particularly those that are related to the Institute themes: International Relation and Diplomacy, Communications and Media, Democracy and Citizenship, Science in Global Perspective, and Community Service and Volunteering.
5. Your resume or a list of activities, projects and experiences.
If you choose to mail your application, you can find it here.
If you choose to submit your application package online, please note that you should have all required application items in electronic files. You can find online application here.
Please note, that incomplete application packets will not be concidered.
- Demostrated leadership potential
- Interest in diplomacy, journalism, international relations, and public policy
- Maturity, open-mindedness, and independent thinking
- Sustained high level of academic achievement
- Demonstrated interest in volunteering and/or community work
- Commitment to apply new knowledge and skills in his/her community
- Ability to work in a team
- Tolerance and willingness to collaborate with peers from different cultural background
Submit the full application package online or mail it by March 15, 2015 (11:59pm PST, or postmarked no later than March 15, 2015) to:
Dr. Anatoli Rapoport or Dr. Asta Balkute
100 N. University Street 100 N. University Street, Room 4119
West Lafayette, IN 47907 West Lafayette, IN 47907
You might be expected to participate in a phone or online interview before selection committee makes a final selection. All applicants will be notified by email, so please check your email regularly. Final decision will be announced by mid-April.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 765-496-3335
Inerested European Fellows, please contact the United States Embasies and Consulates in your country for application information.