‘I change the world 1 student at a time’

Teacher Education Pinning Ceremony

The College of Education honored December graduates with a Teacher Education Pinning Ceremony on December 16 in Marriott Hall.  The ceremony was full of family, friends, and College faculty and staff celebrating with these new Boilermaker Educators. Graduates received a lapel pin and a copy of the Teacher’s Creed, which they recited to conclude the program.

After a welcome by Interim Dean Phillip J. VanFossen, TJ Rosa (BA Elementary Education ’20), gave a keynote speech where she described the joys of life in a 4th grade classroom. Following Rosa, keynote speaker Sarah Powley (MS Educational Administration ’85) talked about one of the 6,000 students she had in her 47-year teaching career who herself became a teacher “to give my students what you’ve given me”.

Interim Dean Phillip J. VanFossen with 16 of our newest graduates at the Dec. 16 pinning ceremony

Following the keynotes, Erin Perdue, alumni engagement officer for Purdue for Life, called the names of all of the graduates, and those present went forward to receive a teacher pin from Dean VanFossen.

Led by Kathryn Obenchain, associate dean for learning, engagement and global initiatives, the graduates and other educators in the audience stood and recited the Teacher’s Creed together:

I am dedicated to ensuring that every child I teach receives a quality education.

I will create a learning environment that encourages academic, social, and emotional achievement.

I will hold high expectations for all students and myself.

I will respect the hard-won gains of those educators in whose steps I walk and gladly share the very best practices with those who follow.

I am a teacher. I change the world one student at a time.

Dean VanFossen made closing remarks, welcoming the newest Boilermaker Educators to the teaching profession. Congratulations, Class of 2022!

Purdue’s College of Education meets the challenges of educating 21st Century learners by discovering what works in education. The College prepares highly qualified educators and conducts research that informs how teachers teach and students learn. With an innovative approach to teacher preparation including a focus on integrated P-12 STEM education and a commitment to social justice and diversity, graduates are prepared to be leaders in education, business, and society.