Close Menu


Dean’s Doctoral Research Assistantship

The Dean’s Doctoral Research Assistantship is a  College of Education recruitment and support initiative for students admitted to the College of Education in a doctoral degree-granting program. This prestigious award provides four years of funding, with three years funded by the College of Education and one year funded by the Department. One Dean’s Doctoral Research Assistantship will be awarded to an incoming doctoral student each year by each department in the college. As graduate assistants, students must be candidates for a degree and remain in good standing to maintain eligibility to hold the assistantship. Recipients of the Dean’s Research assistantship will conduct research, which may or may not be directly related to their degree requirements, under the direction of their major professors.

General Assistantships

Most assistantships are half-time (0.50 FTE), but you may be offered the opportunity to work quarter-time (0.25 FTE), or three-quarter-time (0.75 FTE). FTE means Full-Time Equivalent, which is ordinarily assumed to mean 40 hours of work per week. International students, by law, may not exceed 0.50 FTE, or half-time employment.

Contact your department for information about how to apply for available assistantships. You must be admitted to the Purdue Graduate School before you will be offered an assistantship.

As a Teaching Assistant (TA), you might lead one or more sections of an undergraduate class with responsibility for preparing and delivering lectures and evaluating student work, you might oversee a recitation or laboratory section for a large lecture course, or you might supervise student teachers in the field. Most assistantships require, or at least strongly prefer, that you have prior K-12 teaching experience because most courses deal with K-12 teacher preparation. These appointments are typically for 10 months and extend from about August 15 to May 15. TAs selected to teach Summer School classes receive additional paychecks, but usually there are few summer TA slots available. Individuals whose first language is not English must satisfy oral English proficiency standards to be offered a teaching assistant position.

As a Research Assistant (RA), you would perform research-related tasks, typically under the direction of a faculty member. You might work in a laboratory, collect observation data in a classroom, or type transcripts from taped interviews. These appointments are most typically available from faculty members who have been awarded research grants.

As an Administrative Assistant, you would perform administrative tasks under the direction of faculty or staff members. Although fewer of these jobs are available, they are usually 12-month appointments. Examples include auditing the transcripts of teacher licensing candidates or maintaining a department’s website.

As a Residence Hall Assistant, you could live in a University residence hall and assist the other students living on your floor or in your unit. Contact Housing and Food Services for more information.