For Prospective Fellows
Ben Franklin Transatlantic Fellowship
Welcome to BFTF 2023
Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellowship (BFTF) to be held June 24-July 22, 2023 on the campus of Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
10 U.S. Fellows (aged 16 to 18) will join 45 international Fellows from Europe to take classes in International Diplomacy, Media and Journalism, Global Problems, Democracy, and Civic Education. Over the course of the institute, fellows will meet with US politicians, scholars, and journalists. Fellows will participate in debates, practical workshops, and seminars. They will also learn how to organize and participate in community service activities.
The Institute cultural program includes trips to Indianapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Washington. The program also includes an International Culture Night, talent show, 4th of July picnic, shows and concerts, movie nights and sporting events.
*Note: (The in-person on-campus exchange is contingent upon the safety and feasibility of in-person programing and travel. A virtual program option may be available if in-person programing is not possible due to the global health pandemic).
Fellowship Covers all BFTF Expenses
*note all fellows receive these
- Meals and incidentals
- Books and study materials
- Admission to museums and shows
- All trips that are included in the Institute program
BFTF Application Packet (for US Citizens)
- Application (online, Word)
- Resume or list of activities, projects, or experiences
- Two essays (2-3 paragraphs each, single-spaced)
- Two letters of recommendation
- ANY additional evidence that demonstrates your interest and willingness to participate in the Institute. Such evidence may include but not limited to diplomas, certificates, letters of support, articles in newspapers, letters from peers or superiors, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Interest in diplomacy, international relations, and public policy
- Maturity, open-mindedness, and independent thinking
- Sustained high level of academic achievement
- Demonstrated interest in volunteering and community work
- Commitment to apply new knowledge and skills in his/her community
- Ability to work in a team
- Tolerance and willingness to collaborate with peers with different cultural backgrounds
Application deadline – March 12, 2023. All 16-18 years old U.S. citizens may apply.
Mail or send electronically the full package by March 12, 2023 to:
Dr. Anatoli Rapoport or Dr. Jeff Spanke
UPON RECEIVING THE LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING FORMS:
All BFTF Fellows (European and U.S.) will have to submit these forms by June 1st, 2023
- Pre-Departure Guide
- Medical Information Form (has to be filled out by a Fellow and parent/guardian)
- Statement of Responsibility (signed by a Fellow and parent/guardian)
- Participant Consent and Release Form (signed by a Fellow and parent/guardian)
- Visitor Request Form (if awaiting any visitors while at Purdue University)
- Participant Information Sheet (filled out by a Fellow)
Forms must be emailed to Dr. Jeff Spanke firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed at +1(765)496-2210 (attn: BFTF) by June 1st, 2023.
Contact the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellowship
(765) 496-3029 or email@example.com
Beering Hall of Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2098