Work Steven C. Beering Hall of Liberal Arts and Education 100 N. University Street West Lafayette Indiana 47907-2098 BRNG 4168work Work Phone: 765-494-2355work Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Assistant Professor Literacy and Language EducationCurriculum and Instruction
Breanya is currently an Assistant Professor of Language Education. She is a doctoral candidate finishing her dissertation this fall at Indiana University-Bloomington (IUB) in the Literacy, Culture, and Language Education program.
- Ph.D. Candidate — Literacy, Culture, & Language Education, Indiana University-Bloomington (Expected 2022)
- Minor: Educational Leadership (School Principal Certification)
- M.Ed. — School Counseling, University of Louisville (2011)
- B.S.Ed. — Elementary Education, University of Louisville (2009)
- 2022 – present
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 2021 – 2022
Division of Education
Indiana University, Purdue University-Columbus, Columbus, IN
- 2020 – 2021
Visiting Assistant Professor
School of Education
University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN
- 2016 – 2020
Literacy, Culture, Language Education
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- 2011 – 2016
5th Grade Teacher
Minors Lane Elementary
Jefferson County Public Schools, Louisville, Kentucky
- 2009 – present
Ella Baker Trainer (Literacy Curriculum Trainer/On-call Consultant)
Freedom Schools Program
Children’s Defense Fund, Washington, D.C. (various locations)
- Associate Instructor Outstanding Teaching Award, School of Education, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2020
- Nominee for School of Education Graduate Student of the Year & Leading the Way Awards, Black Graduate Student Association, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2020 (Leading the Way Award Recipient)
- Harste Alternative Literacies Fellowship, Literacy, Culture, and Language Education Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2018, 2019
+ Research and Publications
Breanya’s research interests include pre-service teacher urban education, communities of practice, children’s literature, culturally proactive pedagogy, and maximizing out of school time through literacy engagement.
- Hogue, B. (children’s book, self-published). Act Your Age Shawn Trenell! (May 2018).
- Hogue, B. (children’s book, self-published). Shawn Trenell The Greatest of All Time. (March 2020).
- Hogue, B. (children’s book, self-published). Never Catch Me! (Nursery Rhyme Book). (March 2022).
- Hershey, G., Stephenson, M., Calloway-Thomas, C., Hogue, B., McCalister, L. (October 2019). 50 Years of Generating Minds The Groups Scholars Program at Indiana University. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN.
- Hogue, B., Meyers, J., Shimek, C., Appleget, C. (2020) Fostering Culturally Proactive Pedagogies: Designing Learning Events for Elementary Literacy Methods Courses
- Appleget, C., Shimek, C. Meyers, J., Hogue, B. (2020) A Collaborative Self-Study With Critical Friends: Culturally Proactive Pedagogies in Literacy Methods Courses
- Shimek, C., Appleget, C. Meyers, J., Hogue, B. (2022) Wobbling our Way to Culturally Proactive Pedagogies: Achieving Flow in U.S. Teacher Education
- Appleget. C., Shimek, C., Myers, J., & Hogue, B. (2022). Self-Study communities of practice: A traveler’s guide for the journey. In B. Butler & S. Bullock (Eds.), Learning through Collaboration in Self-Study: Critical Friendship, Communities of Practice, and Collaborative Self-Study. Springer Publishing.
- Hogue, B. (2022). I’m listening; A vital lesson in My Rainbow by Trinity & DeShanna Neal. First Opinions, Second Reactions 14(1): Article X.
+ Courses Typically Taught
- EDCI 32500 — Literacy in the Early Childhood Classroom