Steven C. Beering Hall of
Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
Phone: (215) 495-7027work
Christy Wessel Powell
Literacy and Language EducationCurriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. — Literacy, Culture and Language Education, Indiana University (2017)
- M.A. — Teaching, Elementary Education, cum laude, Dominican University (2007)
- B.A. — Humanities, Literature and Int’l Studies, magna cum laude, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (2004)
- 2017 – present
Assistant Professor, Literacy and Language Eduation,
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 2016 – 2017
Visiting Faculty & Course/Field Coordinator
Student Teaching Supervisor
Ball State University
- 2015 – 2016
Graduate Instructor and Literacy Clinic Coordinator
University of Missouri, St. Louis
- 2014 – 2015
K-5 Literacy Support Coach
Normandy School District
- 2011- 2015
Associate Instructor, Literacy, Culture and Language Education
- 2010 – 2015
Research Assistant, School of Education and Creativity Labs
- 2003 – 2004
House of Representatives’ Democratic Party, Indiana Statehouse
- Purdue College of Education Undergraduate Research Assistant (2016-17)
- LCLE Fay Fellowship Award (2015-16)
- Proffitt and Faculty Fellowship Awards (2010-15)
- Beechler Dissertation Scholarship Award (2015)
- University Graduate School Grant-in-Aid Doctoral Research Award (2015)
- In Light Documentary Film Fellowship(2015)
- Malvina McNeill Fellowship (2012-13)
- LCLE Conference Travel Grant Award (2013)
- Established annual $500 Dean’s grant for graduate student organization activities (2011-present)
- Obtained $500 LCLE departmental grant for graduate student organization activities (2011)
- Indiana Reading Journal manuscript reviewer, 2015-present
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) conference submission reviewer, 2014-present
- Indiana Certified Mentor, 2006-present
- American Educational Research Association member, 2013-present
- Literacy Research Association member, 2013-present
- International Congress on Qualitative Inquiry member, 2013-present
- National Council for Teachers of English member, 2012-present
- International Literacy Association member, 2012-present
Early and elementary literacy; reading and writing workshops, digital playshops; literacy clinics, critical literacy; teacher inquiry groups, educational equity, politics of education, media reception; arts and technology integration
- A Year of Educational Equity: Community Book Clubs read Dividing Classes (PI), 2016-present
- Parent Narratives: Navigating School Choice (PI), 2016-present
- Wessel-Powell, C., Kargin, T. and Wohlwend, K. E. (2016). Enriching and Assessing Young Children’s Storytelling. The Reading Teacher.
- Wessel-Powell, C. (2014). School, Education and Social Action at the Movies: Audience Reactions to Waiting for “Superman”. Teachers College Record 116(3). http://tinyurl.com/p3tfoub.
- Peppler, K., Wessel-Powell, C., Thompson, N., and Catterall, J. (2014). Positive Impact of Arts Integration on Student Academic Achievement in English Language Arts. The Educational Forum 78(4), 364-377. http://tinyurl.com/py65p29.
- Rust, J. and Wessel-Powell, C. (2014). Making the Invisible Visible: White Preservice Teachers Explore Social Inequities with the Critical Web Reader. Working Papers in Literacy, Culture and Language Education 3(1).
- Wessel-Powell, C., and Husbye, N.E. (2013). Mediation Levels in a Preschool Playshop. In K. E. Wohlwend, Literacy Playshop: Playing with New Literacies and Popular Media in the Early Childhood Classroom (44-76). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Wessel-Powell, C. (2013). Reviews of “Walking with Nature Through Poetry” and “Gone Fishing: An Eclectic Collection of Poetic Forms Tell a Story.” Purdue University’s First Opinions Second Reactions 6(2). http://tinyurl.com/p3lvoej.
- Skidmore Coggin, L., Wohlwend, K.E., Buchholz, B.E., Wessel-Powell, C. (2013). Expanding Early Childhood Literacy Curriculum Through Play-Based Film-Making and Popular Media. In The ECEA Yearbook, volume 3.
- Husbye, N.E., Buchholz, B.A., Coggin, L.S., Wessel-Powell, C., and Wohlwend, K. E. (2012). “Do you know they’re playing with Legos?” Critical lessons and playful literacies: digital media in PK-2 classrooms. Language Arts, 90(2), 82-92. http://tinyurl.com/o3a4u6s.
Popular Press Publications
- Wessel-Powell, C., Myerson, D. and Hinnefeld, S. (2016). Education that serves all equally. Guest column, The Herald-Times, Bloomington IN. http://tinyurl.com/ju35huj
Manuscripts in Progress
- Wessel-Powell, C. K-1 Zombie Boys’ Embodied Storytelling in Literacy Playshop.
- Lysaker, J. and Wessel-Powell, C. Social Imagination in Wordless Picturebook Reading. In D. Bloome and R. Beach (Eds.), Languaging.
- Wessel-Powell, C., Weir, G., and Zakeri, B. Willing to be Disturbed: Softening Reflexivities in Co-Researcher/Parent Interviews on School Choice.
- Wessel-Powell, C., Weir, G., and Zakeri, B. Low-Income Mothers’ Narratives around School Choice: An “F School” in an “A District.”
- Wessel-Powell, C. Discourse Analysis of Gendered Feedback in a Storytelling Workshop.
- Wessel-Powell, C. and Weir, G. A Year of Public Learning and Democratic Action: The Community Committee for Educational Equity.