Richard Benbridge Wetherill
Laboratory of Chemistry
560 Oval Drive
Phone: (765) 494-0711work
Associate Professor & 150th Anniversary Professor
Science EducationCurriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. — Science Education, Michigan State University (1992)
- M.A. — Curriculum & Instruction, Michigan State University (1987)
- B.A. — Biology, Colgate University (1978)
- 1997 – Present
Biology Education, Purdue University
- 1992 – 1997
Biology Education, Purdue University
- 1991 – 1992
Instructor of Biology Education
- 1985 – 1991
Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant
Michigan State University
- 1982 – 1984
Peace Corps Training Center, Zaire, Africa
- 1980 – 1982
Regional Volunteer Representative
Peace Corps, Zaire, Africa
- 1978 – 1980
High School Biology & Chemistry Teacher
Grades 9-12, Peace Corps, Zaire, Africa
Research interests include professional preparation and development of both elementary and secondary teachers; collaborative problem solving and its role in the teaching and learning of science; and the nature of science education and its importance for both teachers and students.
- Lee, O., Eichinger, D.C., Anderson, C.W., Berkheimer, G.D., & Blakeslee, T.D. (1993). Changing middle school students’ conceptions of matter and molecules. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 30(3), 249-270.
- Eichinger, D.C., Abell, S.K., & Dagher, Z.R. (1997). Developing a graduate level science education course on the nature of science. Science & Education, 6(4).
- Abell, S.K. & Eichinger, D.C. (1998). Examining the epistemological and ontological underpinnings in science education: An introduction. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 35(2), 107-109.
- Eichinger, D.C. & Krockover, G.H. (1998). Developing a faculty portfolio: Tips and suggestions for science educators. Journal of College Science Teaching, 27(6), 411-415.
- Volkmann, M.J. & Eichinger, D.C. (1999). Habits of mind: Integrating the social and personal characteristics of doing science into the science classroom. School Science and Mathematics, 99(3), 141-147.
- Eichinger, D.C., Nakhleh, M.B., & Auberry, D.L. (2000). Evaluating computer lab modules for large biology courses. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 19(3), 253-275.
- Krockover, G.H., Adams, P.E., Eichinger, D.C., Nakhleh, M.B., & Shepardson, D.P. (2001). Action-based research teams: Collaborating to improve science instruction. The Journal of College Science Teaching, 30(5), 313-317.
- Witham, S.A., Krockover, G.H., Compton, S.J., Cross, V.D., Eichinger, D.C., Robinson, J.P. (2001). CD-ROMs in the classroom. The Science Teacher, 68(8), 72-74.
- Ashburn, S.J., Eichinger, D.C., Witham, S., Cross, V.D., Krockover, G.H., Pae, T., Islam, S., & Robinson, J.P. (2002). The BioScope Initiative: Integrating technology into the biology classroom. The American Biology Teacher, 64(7), 503-510.
- Krockover, G.H., Shepardson, D.P., Adams, P.E., Eichinger, D.C., & Nakhleh, M.B. (2002). Reforming and assessing undergraduate science instruction using collaborative action-based research teams. Journal of School Science and Mathematics, 102(6), 266-284.
- Carleton, L. E., Krockover, G. H., Lasher-Trapp, S., & Eichinger, D. (2008). Ideas about the nature of science held by undergraduate atmospheric science students. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 89(11), 1681-1688.
- Merwade, V., Eichinger, D., Harriger, B., Doherty, E., & Habben, R. (2014). The sound of science. Science and Children, 51(6), 30-35.
- Dankenbring, C., Capobianco, B., & Eichinger, D. (2014). How to develop an engineering design task. Science and Children, 52(2), 70-75.
- EDCI 42100 — The Teaching of Biology in Secondary Schools
- EDCI 49800V — Supervision of Student Teaching – Biology
- EDCI 51800 — The Nature of Science in Science Teaching
- EDCI 62200 — Seminar in Science Education
- BIOL 20500 — Biology for Elementary School Teachers
- BIOL 20600 — Biology for Elementary School Teachers