Steven C. Beering Hall of
Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
Phone: (765) 494-7237work
Special EducationEducational Studies
- Ph.D. — Special Education with an emphasis in Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, University of Arizona (2014)
- M.A. — Special Education, San Francisco State University (2009)
- M.S.W. — Social Work, University of Hawaii, Manoa (2007)
- B.A. — Psychology, University of California, Riverside (2004)
Dr. Whitford specializes in school discipline disproportionality as it relates to underreported student populations. She is particularly interested in a) investigating patterns of disproportionality, b) examining the effects of disproportionality on student achievement, post-academic outcomes, and emotional well-being, and c) determining methods for decreasing disproportionality in K-12 settings.
- Maker, C. J., Alhusaini, A. A., Zimmerman, R. H., Pease, R. J., Schiever, S. W., & Whitford, D. K. (2014). Recommendations for developing curricula for creativity and innovation in Saudi special schools for gifted students (Phase 1). DISCOVER Project report to the Saudi Arabia Ministry of Education (Contract # 25/M/M/35), University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- Whitford, D. K., & Levine-Donnerstein, D. (2014). Office disciplinary referral patterns of American Indian students from elementary school through high school. Behavioral Disorders, 39(2), 78-88.
- Whitford, D. K., Liaupsin, C., Umbreit, J., & Ferro, J. (2013). Implementation of a single comprehensive function-based intervention across multiple classrooms for a high school student. Education and Treatment of Children, 36 (4), 147-167.