Steven C. Beering Hall of
Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
Work Phone: (765) 494-2357work
Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Visiting Assistant Professor, Research Associate for CATALYST
Mathematics EducationCurriculum and Instruction
I am a mathematics teacher educator who is interested in learning about different ways people know and teach mathematics. In my dissertation study, I explored the area of teachers’ practical knowledge (Elbaz, 1981) using narrative inquiry methodology (Clandinin & Connelly, 2000). Learning about the role of practical knowledge took me to be interested in the teaching of teaching mathematics and collaborate with researchers from other disciplines. I also explored learners’ ways of knowing mathematics in activities defined as landscapes of investigations (Skovsmose, 2001). Some research questions I am interested in exploring are: How do teachers build from their experiences to teach mathematics? In what ways do people bring mathematics to landscapes of investigations? In what ways do mathematics education researchers engage in interdisciplinary collaborations?
- Ph.D. — Curriculum and Instruction: Mathematics Education, Purdue University (2017)
- Master’s — Mathematics, University of Concepción (2007)
- Bachelor’s — Education, University of Concepción (2004)
- Chapman, O., Kastberg, S. E., Suazo-Flores, E., Cox, D., & Ward, J. (2020). Mathematics teacher educators’ inquiry into their practice. In Beswick, K. & Chapman, O. (Eds.), International Handbook of Mathematics Teacher Education. 2nd Edition. Volume 2: The mathematics teacher educator as a developing professional (pp. 01-30). Brill-Sense Publishers.
- Suazo-Flores, E., Walker, W. S., III, Aqazade, M., Alyami, H., & Kastberg, S. E. (2019). Mathematics education researchers’ interdisciplinary collaboration practices. In Otten, S., de Araujo, Z., Candela, A., Munter, C., & Haines, C. (Eds.) Proceedings of the 41st annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. St. Louis, MO.
- Siverling, E. A., Suazo-Flores, E., Mathis, C. A., Moore, T. J. (2019). Students’ use of STEM content in design justifications during engineering design-based STEM integration. School Science and Mathematics Journal, 119(8), 457-474.
- Kastberg, S. E., Suazo-Flores, E., & Richardson, S. E. (2019). Mathematics educator teacher stories. Revista Brasileira de Pesquisa (Auto) Biografica, 4(10), 48-67.
- Kersey, E., Max, B., Akarsu, M., Bloome, L., Suazo, E., & Hoffman, A. J. (2019). Use of written curriculum in applied calculus. International Journal of Research in Education and Science (IJRES), 5(2), 457-467.
- Suazo-Flores, E. (2018). Students’ understanding of area: Combining practical and mathematical knowledge with a real world task. International Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 8(1), 23-37.
- Suazo-Flores, E. (2016). Working together: A caring relation between a teacher and a mathematics educator. Purdue Journal of Service-Learning and International Engagement, 3(1), 34-37.
- EDCI 36400 – Mathematics in the Elementary School
- EDCI 52004 – Teachers as Leaders
- EDCI 53300 – Teaching and Learning in Number and Operations
- EDCI 53500 – Teaching and Learning Algebra and Functions
- EDCI 53600 – Teaching and Learning Data Analysis and Probability
- EDCI 54900 – Assessment in STEM Education