Work Steven C. Beering Hall of Liberal Arts and Education 100 N. University Street West Lafayette Indiana 47907-2098 BRNG 4166work
Work Phone: (765) 494-2357work
Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Research Associate for CATALYST and Curriculum & Instruction
Mathematics EducationCurriculum and Instruction
I am a mathematics teacher educator who is interested in learning about different ways people know and teach mathematics. In my dissertation study, I explored the area of teachers’ practical knowledge (Elbaz, 1981) using narrative inquiry methodology (Clandinin & Connelly, 2000). Learning about the role of practical knowledge took me to be interested in the teaching of teaching mathematics and collaborate with researchers from other disciplines. I also explored learners’ ways of knowing mathematics in activities defined as landscapes of investigations (Skovsmose, 2001). Some research questions I am interested in exploring are: How do teachers build from their experiences to teach mathematics? In what ways do people bring mathematics to landscapes of investigations? In what ways do mathematics education researchers engage in interdisciplinary collaborations?
- Ph.D. — Curriculum and Instruction: Mathematics Education, Purdue University (2017)
- Master’s — Mathematics, University of Concepción (2007)
- Bachelor’s — Education, University of Concepción (2004)
- Suazo-Flores, E., & Roetker, L. (June, 2021). Pack a truck: Decontextualizing and contextualizing a task. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12, 6(114), 468-472. https://doi.org/10.5951/MTLT.2020.0289
- Siverling, E., Moore, T., Suazo-Flores, E., Mathis, C., & Guzey, S. (April, 2021). What initiates evidence-based reasoning?: Situations that prompt students to support their design ideas and decisions. Journal of Engineering Education, 10(2), 294-317. https://doi.org/10.1002/jee.20384
- Suazo-Flores, E., Alyami, H., Walker, W. S., III, Aqazade, M., & Kastberg, S. E. (February, 2021). A call for exploring mathematics education researchers’ interdisciplinary research practices. Mathematics Education Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13394-021-00371-0
- Gardner, S., Suazo-Flores, E.,Abraham, J. K., Karippadath, A., Meir, E., & Maruca, S., (January, 2021). Biology undergraduate students’ graphing practice in digital versus pen-and-paper graphing environments. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 30, 431-446. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-020-09886-w
- Chapman, O., Kastberg, S. E., Suazo-Flores, E., Cox, D., & Ward, J. (2020). Mathematics teacher educators’ inquiry into their practice. In Beswick, K. & Chapman, O. (Eds.), International Handbook of Mathematics Teacher Education. 2nd Edition. Volume 2: The mathematics teacher educator as a developing professional (pp. 157-187). Brill-Sense Publishers.
- Suazo-Flores, E., Walker, W. S., III, Aqazade, M., Alyami, H., & Kastberg, S. E. (2019). Mathematics education researchers’ interdisciplinary collaboration practices. In Otten, S., de Araujo, Z., Candela, A., Munter, C., & Haines, C. (Eds.) Proceedings of the 41st annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. St. Louis, MO.
- Siverling, E. A., Suazo-Flores, E., Mathis, C. A., Moore, T. J. (2019). Students’ use of STEM content in design justifications during engineering design-based STEM integration. School Science and Mathematics Journal, 119(8), 457-474. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssm.12373
- Kastberg, S. E., Suazo-Flores, E., & Richardson, S. E. (2019). Mathematics educator teacher stories. Revista Brasileira de Pesquisa (Auto) Biografica, 4(10), 48-67.
- Kersey, E., Max, B., Akarsu, M., Bloome, L., Suazo, E., & Hoffman, A. J. (2019). Use of written curriculum in applied calculus. International Journal of Research in Education and Science (IJRES), 5(2), 457-467.
- Suazo-Flores, E. (2018). Students’ understanding of area: Combining practical and mathematical knowledge with a real world task. International Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 8(1), 23-37.
- Suazo-Flores, E. (2016). Working together: A caring relation between a teacher and a mathematics educator. Purdue Journal of Service-Learning and International Engagement, 3(1), 34-37.
- EDCI 36400 – Mathematics in the Elementary School
- EDCI 52004 – Teachers as Leaders
- EDCI 53300 – Teaching and Learning in Number and Operations
- EDCI 53500 – Teaching and Learning Algebra and Functions
- EDCI 53600 – Teaching and Learning Data Analysis and Probability
- EDCI 54900 – Assessment in STEM Education