Steven C. Beering Hall of
Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
Phone: (765) 494-2355work
Literacy & LanguageCurriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. — Language Education, Indiana University, Bloomington (2002)
- M.A. — Education, St. Joseph’s College, Hartford (1989)
- B.A. — Music, Colorado College, Colorado Springs (1976)
- 2011 – present
College of Education, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 2001 – 2011
- 2000 – 2001
- 1995 – 1999
- 1990 – 1995
East Haddam, CT
My research interests revolve around an interdisciplinary exploration of reading as social and relational activity and the formative consequences of reading for children’s development. Specific areas of focus include: reading and social imagination, emergent reading comprehension, microanalysis of wordless book reading and picture book retellings, Theory of Mind and reading, and teaching reading for social understanding.
- Lysaker, J. T., & Hopper, E. (2015). A kindergartener’s emergent strategy use during wordless picture book reading. The Reading Teacher, 68(8), 649‑657. doi:10.1002/trtr.1352
- Lysaker, J. T., & Sedberry, T. (2015). Reading difference: Picturebook retellings as contexts for exploring personal meanings of race and culture. Literacy, 49(2), 105-111.
- Lysaker, J. T. (2014). Reading as a language event of the self: In conversation with Bertau, Lipari, and Karsten. Theory & Psychology, 24(4), 576‑591.
- Lysaker, J. T., & Thompson, B. (2013). Teacher research as a practical tool for learning to teach. Language Arts, 90(3), 181‑191.
- Lysaker, J. T., & Tonge, C. (2013). Learning to understand others through relationally oriented reading. The Reading Teacher, 66(8), 632‑641.
- Lysaker, J. T., & Furuness, S. (2012). Spaces for transformation. Journal of Transformative Education, 9(3), 183‑197
- Lysaker, J. T., & Miller, A. (2012). Engaging social imagination: The developmental work of wordless book reading. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/1468798411430425
- Lysaker, J. T., Tonge, C., Gauson, D., & Miller, A. (2011). Reading and social imagination: What relationally oriented instruction can do for children. Reading Psychology, 32(6), 520‑566.
- Lysaker, J.T., Wheat, J. & Benson, E. (2010). Children’s spontaneous play in writer’s workshop. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 10, 2, 209-229.
- Lysaker, J. T. (Ed.). (2013). Teacher inquiry in literacy workshops: Forging relationships through Reggio‑inspired practice. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English.
- EDCI 32500 — Literacy in the Primary Grades
- EDCI 50000 — Foundations of Literacy
- EDCI 61200 — Literacy Research Methodologies