Mathematics EducationCurriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. — Mathematics Education, North Carolina State University (2008)
- M.S. — Applied Mathematics, University of Dayton (2000)
- B.S. — Mathematics, University of Dayton (1999)
- 2014 – present
Associate Professor of Mathematics Education
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 2008 – 2014
Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 2004 – 2008
Project Bright IDEA II
Department of Public Instruction, Raleigh, NC
- 2000 – 2008
Instructor of Mathematics
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
Carroll High School, Dayton, OH
- Nancy G. Pollack Thesis and Dissertation Award, College of Education, North Carolina State University (2009)
- Discovery Learning Research Center (DLRC) 2010 Faculty Research Fellowship. Purdue University (2010-2011)
- Service, Teaching, and Research, (STaR) for Early Career Mathematics Educators Fellowship. National Science Foundation (2010-2011)
- Teaching Award: Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Teaching by an Assistant Professor, College of Science, Purdue University (2012)
- Spira Teaching Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Department of Mathematics, Purdue University (2015)
- Teaching Academy Fellow, Purdue University (2016)
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Indiana Council for Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM)
- North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Hoosier Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (HAMTE, Treasurer)
- Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education (RUME)
- Writing and reflection in the learning of mathematics
- The academic language of mathematics
- Students’ and teachers’ anticipatory and reflective practices in learning and teaching mathematics
- Kenney, R.H. & de Oliveira, L. (2015). A framework for connecting natural language and symbol sense in mathematical word problems for English language learners. Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics, 6(1), 7-16.
- Kenney, R.H. (2015). Investigating a link between pre-calculus students’ uses of graphing calculators and their understanding of mathematical symbols. International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education, 21(4), 157-166.
- Kim, S.H., Phang, D., An, T., Yi, J.S., Kenney, R.H., & Uhan, N. (2014). The role of visualization in breaking cognitive lock-up of mental models: Investigation through student-professor problems. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 72(1), 12-22.
- Kenney, R.H., Shoffner, M., Norris, D. (2013) Reflecting to learn mathematics: Supporting preservice teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge with reflection on writing prompts in mathematics education. Reflective Practice, 14(6), 787-800.
- Kenney, R.H., Shoffner, M., Norris, D. (2013). Reflecting on Mathematics Teaching and Learning through Writing: An Examination of Preservice Teachers’ Perspectives. The Teacher Educator, 49 (1), 28-43.
- Kenney, R.H., & Kastberg, S. (2013). Links in learning logarithms. The Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 27(1), 12-20.
- McCulloch, A.W., Kenney, R.H., & Keene, K.A. (2013). What to trust: Reconciling mathematical work done by hand with conflicting graphing calculator solutions. School Science and Mathematics, 113(4), 201-210
- EDCI 42500 — Teaching of Mathematics in Secondary Schools
- EDCI 42600 — Teaching of Mathematics and Middle and Junior High
- EDCI 53300 — Teaching and Learning Number and Operation
- EDCI 54800 — Assessment in Mathematics Education
- EDCI 62000 — Developing as a Mathematics Education Researcher
- MA 10800 — Mathematics as a Profession and a Discipline
- MA 30100 — Introduction to Proof and Real Analysis
- MA 48400 — Seminar on Teaching College Algebra and Trigonometry