Steven C. Beering Hall of
Liberal Arts and Education
100 N. University Street
Phone: (765) 494-9749work
Siddika Selcen Guzey
Science EducationCurriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. — Science Education, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (2010)
- M.A. — Science Education, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (2007)
- B.A. — Biology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey (2003)
- 2019 – present
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
College of Education, Purdue University
- 2010 – 2014
STEM Education Center
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2005 – 2010
Department of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Minnesota
- 2004 – 2005
Gulistan Middle School, Isparta, Turkey
My primary research interests include integrated STEM education and technology integration in biology teaching and learning. The most recent research projects include a large scale, longitudinal study of engineering design and practices in K-12 science classes and a study of student discourse in collaborative engineering design groups in elementary and secondary classrooms.
Integration of Engineering Design and Life Science: Investigating the influence of an Intervention on Student Interest and Motivation in STEM Fields is funded by NSF, #1721141. Guzey, PI. The project aims to investigate the integration of engineering design, practices, and thinking into middle school life science curriculum while providing opportunities for students to foster knowledge of biological sciences and increase interest in Life STEM fields. The proposal specifically responds to the need for projects “that create, implement, and evaluate models of intervention that will advance the knowledge base for establishing and retaining underrepresented minorities in STEM fields with particular attention to life science and the biosciences” (NSF Dear Colleague Letter, NSF 16-143). The project partnership involves middle school science teachers from two Indiana school corporations and faculty from Purdue University’s Colleges of Engineering, Science, and Education. Both partner school corporations serve under-served, culturally diverse, and socioeconomically disadvantaged students in rural communities. The project will engage 36 middle school science teachers and 3000 students over the life of the grant. The project partners will explore the overarching research questions: In what ways does integrating life science with engineering design and thinking impact student learning of life science concepts and interest in Life STEM fields? How does this integration approach reduce gaps in achievement among students of different races, gender, and special education status? For more information, https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1721141
The Engineering to Transform the Education of Analysis, Mathematics, and Science in a Team-Based, Targeted Mathematics-Science Partnership (EngrTEAMS) is funded by NSF, #123814. Guzey, Co-PI. The project is an engineering, design-based approach to teacher professional development that has 50 teachers per year designing curricular units for science topic areas related to the Next Generation Science Standards. This project includes summer professional development and curriculum writing workshops, paired with coaching, to allow teams of teachers to design engineering curricular units focused on science concepts, meaningful data analysis, and measurement. Each unit goes through an extensive design research cycle to ensure its quality and is published in an online format. For more information, https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1238140
The designSTEM is a multi year project funded by Indiana Department of Education. Guzey, PI. The goal of the designSTEM is to help K-12 STEM teachers implement integrated STEM approaches. The project includes summer professional development and Professional Learning Communities (PLC) during the school year. CATALYST faculty members design and lead the summer professional development workshops and PLC meetings.
- Radloff, J. & Guzey, S. (2016). Investigating pre-service STEM teacher conceptions of STEM education. Journal of Science Education and Technology. doi:10.1007/s10956-016-9633-
- Guzey, S., Moore, T., & Harwell, M. (2016). Building up STEM: An analysis of teacher-developed engineering design-based STEM integration curricular materials. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER), 6(1), Article 2.
- Guzey, S., Harwell, M., Moreno, M., & Moore, T. (2016). STEM Integration in middle school life science: Student learning and attitudes. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 25(4), 550-560.
- Canbazoglu-Bilici, S. & Guzey, S., & Yamak, H. (2016). Assessing pre-service science teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge through observations and lesson plans. Research in Science & Technological Education, 34(2), 237-251.
- Moreno, M., Harwell, M., Guzey, S. (in press). Complex applications of HLM in studies of science and mathematics achievement: Cross-classified random effects models. Submitted to School Science and Mathematics.
- Bhattacharya, D., Guzey, S., Millar, C., & Moore, T. (2015). Artificial floating islands: A curriculum unit for integrated STEM. Science Scope, 38(9), 63-69.
- Moore, T, Guzey, S., Roehrig, G., Stohlmann, M., Park, M., Kim, Y., Callendar, H., & Teo, H. (2015). Faculty change: A longitudinal study exploring instructional beliefs while implementing model-eliciting activities. Journal of Engineering Education, 104(3), 279-302.
- Harwell, M., Philips, A., Mareno, M., Guzey, S., & Moore, T. (2015). A study of STEM assessments in Engineering, Science, and Mathematics Assessments for elementary and middle school students. School Science and Mathematics, 115(2), 66-74.
- Moore, T.J., Johnson, C.C., Peters-Burton, E.E., & Guzey, S. (2015). The need for a STEM road map. In C.C. Johnson, E.E. Peters-Burton, and T.J. Moore (Eds.), STEM Road Map: A Framework for Integrated STEM Education, pp. 1-14. Routledge.
- Guzey, S., Moore, T., & Harwell, M. (2014). Development of an instrument to measure students’ attitudes toward STEM. School Science and Mathematics, 114(6), 271-279.
- Langley, D. & Guzey, S. (2014). Conducting an introductory biology course in an active learning classroom: A case study of an experienced faculty member. New Directions for Teaching & Learning Journal, 137, 71-76.
- EDCI 42100 — The Teaching of Biology in Secondary Schools
- EDCI 48900V — Supervision of Student Teaching – Biology
- EDCI 59100 — Introduction to K-12 Integrated STEM Education
- EDCI 60500 — The Teaching of Science