Close Menu

If you want to teach in the state of Indiana, you’ll need a license. Through the Office of Teacher Education and Licensure, our licensing advisors can help you get your teaching license.

You can work with the Office of Teacher Education and Licensure and the Indiana Department of Education to obtain your teaching license.

Initial Licensure

When you graduate, you’ll be eligible for your initial license.


If your license has expired, you’ll need to renew it.


Learn how to add additional subject areas to your teaching license.


Learn more about the tests you’ll need to complete to be a licensed educator.

Out-of-State Licensure

If you want to teach outside Indiana, you’ll need to learn about the requirements of the state you wish to teach in.

Transition to Teaching

Have a bachelor’s degree in another discipline and interested in becoming a teacher? Learn about our Transition to Teaching program.

Licensure Coursework

Click above to view the coursework required for licensure in a variety of different education areas.

Transcript Evaluation and Credential Review

Already have a bachelor’s degree and want to become a teacher? We can evaluate your transcript to help you understand the course requirements for getting into the teaching profession.

Suicide Prevention Training Requirement

Learn how you can complete the suicide prevention training that is required for licensure.

CPR/Heimlich Maneuver/AED certification

Initial licensure of any type and all renewals must show proof of a valid CPR/Heimlich Maneuver/AED certification. Find out more about the required certification.

The Office of Teacher Education and Licensure is located on the third floor of Beering Hall (BRNG 3229).
Phone: 765-494-2345 • Email: licensure@purdue.edu