All license additions will require successful completion of the required CORE content test.

Adding content areas by testing alone may be completed for all licensure areas except the following. These seven content areas require both coursework and testing in order to be added to an existing license:

  • *Communication Disorders
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Elementary Education
  • *English Learners
  • *Exceptional Needs (*Mild Intervention, *Intense Intervention, Blind and Low Vision, Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
  • *Fine Arts content areas (*Visual Arts, Vocal and General Music, Instrumental and General Music, and Theater Arts)
  • *High Ability

See a chart of Required Tests by Licensure Content Areas.

Click here to learn more about adding content areas to your teaching license.

The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to publicly disclose to prospective and currently enrolled students whether certain programs meet the education requirements for licensure or certification in the state or territory in which they reside. “Programs Leading to Professional Licensure” is defined as programs represented to prepare students for an occupation for which, at completion of the program, a local, state or federal license, or nongovernmental certification is required (i) as a precondition for employment, (ii) to perform certain functions, or (iii) to meet additional conditions that are generally needed to secure employment.

The Purdue University Teacher Education Program is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the State of Indiana. However, not all undergraduate and graduate programs lead to an educator licensure in the State of Indiana. If your Teacher Education program includes field experience(s) and a student teaching or internship component, it may lead to an educator license in the State of Indiana, if you meet the licensure requirements. Contact your academic/faculty advisor and/or the Office of Teacher and Licensure at to verify your program enrollment and whether or not it leads to a license in the State of Indiana.

The State of Indiana has reciprocity agreements with other states, the District of Columbia, and territories. For licensing information contact information for individual state departments of education or visit the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) or email a Purdue University licensing officer/advisor at

Visit this page to view the Licensure Program Agreement